THE WILLIS TANNER FARMLAND PRESERVE
The Willis Tanner Farmland Preserve consists of 25 acres on Above All Road, acquired by the Warren Land Trust in 2017. This open field at one of the highest points in town is comprised of prime farmland soils, and is a foraging and nesting habitat for local avian life. Development rights were previously conveyed to the CT Department of Agriculture, and the property has been farmed with hay and corn. The parcel will remain farmland under our ownership. There is also a passive recreational trail around the field’s perimeter, which makes a pleasant destination for an easy, peaceful walk. The preserve is located in close proximity to the WLT’s Strong Preserve, also on Above All Road, and Above All State Park, which during the Cold War was the location of a military radar station, some remains of which can still be seen. The preserve was generously donated by Patricia Tanner Downes. It is named after her father, Willis Tanner, who served as Warren’s First Selectman for 31 years – from 1948-1979. It was under his tenure in that office that the town acquired Warren Woods and the town recreation area on Lake Waramaug.
PUBLIC ACCESS ALLOWED ON PERIMETER WALKING PATH